Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Answers, sort of

Here's what I gleaned from my conversation with Sandy, who sounded upset but resigned.

The JBFCS has been indicating that they are struggling financially, so Sandy began to suspect they might cut a program but had no idea what program. This past Friday, they informed her that it would be Helpline. She said the guy who started Helpline (I forget his name) is retiring in 2007 and thinks that may have something to do with why they chose Helpline among all their programs-- plus the fact that Helpline is completely non-profit and has zero income.

She also said that Marble Collegiate was planning to take back their space soon and that Helpline would have had to find a new space.

I asked if there was any way we could raise enough money for the Board to stop this from happening, but she said they need "millions." I asked if there was someone volunteers could contact at the Board to express our unhappiness with their decision but she declined, making it sound like a done deal.

Given this, I think the only way to "save" the Helpline would be on our own, without JBFCS. That would mean finding a space and private funding. I have no idea how much it costs to run the Helpline (or a mini version of it with only one phone) but am willing to look into this possibility, or at least get Sandy's opinion on it, if others are onboard. I feel so strongly about Helpline and can't stand the thought of it just disappearing entirely.

No comments: